22 July 2013

PIG DNA


These recent Bay Area transplants have me sucked in completely, even though I've yet to see them play a note. The first demo was an absolutely filthy dirge delivered from murky depths, and this second effort (the only difference in the title is the extra 'R' at the end) is only slightly cleaner. A musical struggle, with drums jerking the band forward instead of driving them and guitars trying to decide between psychedelic bliss and distorted hiss (they don't seem to be able to make up their mind, which is fine by me). The screams sound more desperate this time, putting me on edge even more than the determined if hesitant attack from the band - when the chorus of "hate the fuckers" closes "Bosses" ...well, you get the impression that she really means it, that's all. PIG DNA are pure and unfettered, and I look forward to seeing them in the flesh.


No comments: