19 July 2011

STARING PROBLEM


I am beyond enamored with this Carbondale trio (that;s in the south part of Illinois, for the geographically challenged) - breathy and transfixing "alone in the corner while it's dark and no one is paying attention to you" music. STARING PROBLEM manage to incorporate brooding death rock guitar sounds (think early CURE and CHRISTIAN DEATH) into simple and straightforward midtempo (or slow) jams fronted by a woman who sounds like the singer from the SHANGRI-LAS. This tape appeared in my inbox a few weeks ago, and I was hooked instantly - these songs are full of echo and mystery, and still manage to come off as quirky and energetic. I've used enough adjectives. Thank you to whoever gave it to me. Now it's time for you to listen. 


This tape comes from our friends at Modern Tapes, and based on my lurkings on their simple and humble little website, that label is about to become one of my favorite new discoveries.

9 comments:

Time Bandit said...

got any new bands from othere country's you use to mix it up more way to many us band's lately want too hear band's from other country's.

Zack said...

I don't get out much, so the suburbs of Chicago is like another country to me. This is great. I went to their website and ordered the tapes that were in print. Thanks!

RYAN said...

love this lazy goth daze music!

the wizard said...

Glad you folks enjoy - except Gabe, who doesn't seem to enjoy much of anything I put up. Japan is on deck for tomorrow, which isn't what you're after, but at least it's not the US, right? UK Punk supplies are dwindling, and my chief concern is quality, not country of origin.

And Time Bandit - Amazing post!! You managed to throw no less than EIGHT spelling and/or improper apostrophe errors into ONE sentence!! Though technically that should have been two sentences, but I don't even want to get into improper (or complete lack of) punctuation. Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

I love it when bands poot new stuff. Farting out music is the best thing ever.
And Modern Tapes does indeed seem cool. I'm enjoying this: http://moderntapes.bandcamp.com/album/modern-tapes-mix-tape.

mark hoydan said...

there was also a staring problem who later changed there name to hitlers cock from vancouver canada. they have some songs on vancouver simplification wich is a neat little compilation consisting of bands from vancouver. check it out. its ok.

Alkaline Loaf said...

Could you re-upload this? Thanks man!

the wizard said...

re-zipped, re-uploaded

dickyditch said...

links broken but its free on their bandcamp:
http://moderntapes.bandcamp.com/album/staring-problem